Saturday, February 17, 2007

How did we start our family??

How did we ended up having children...
1994-2001: I have always wanted to have children since I was a small kid. I kept asking Hollie (Mama) several times, are we going to have children??. Her response was always the same… Later… Later… I was really ready for a family!

Summer of 2001: Hollie was in college trying to finish her bachelor degree as she graduated in May 2002 and was working three jobs at the same time. H out of blue one day said to me, “Now I am ready to start a family and let's have children .” With much of amaze and no words could describe how HAPPY I was. Hollie felt it was right time to start having a family as she felt she could be the best mama when she completed her BA degree. We went ahead and researched and surfed through Internet to find more information about AI (IUI & ICI), Known donor vs. Unknown donor, legal issues (second parent adoption, rights), and a lot of other issues. We finally decided that we will be using unknown donor for several reasons.

With our first child, we tried to conceived 2 times and finally became pregnant at 3rd try (all based on timing) with Mikaela. After having Mikaela part of our lives, we immediately knew that we wanted to have more children! :) But the hard part was that we discovered that our donor no longer is in the program and we wanted to have same donor. We learned that we had to be on the waiting list. The life waiting everyday was so hard with thoughts pondering what are our chances and how long will we have to wait. It took several months before we finally got more vials as we decided to take extra vials just in case if my body decides not conceive during 1st, 2nd or 3rd try ... or if we decide to have more children in the future. While we were waiting for extra vials, we took the chance of only two vials left and we were very fortunate to discover that I became pregnant at the first try but unfortunately we faced miscarriage(unexplained reason) at 9 weeks. It was full of emotional ride for us facing the loss of our 2nd child and learned more through other women who have experienced miscarriage which comforted us knowing that we are not alone but with everyone who already experienced! This did not stop us from trying again and we had enough vials saved in to try again..Good news!! I became pregnant again with Kyron at first try. I must be really fertile! :)
Our two precious children have provided so much joy in our lives where it has lead us into so many days of discussions... The discussion topic was "Should we have 3rd kid?" Some days we would be so determined and some days we would be unsure because we wanted to provide 100% quality time as well attention to our children. We want to make the best decision for our family but at the same time everything is full of risk in our daily lives? Don't you all agree?? grinning

5 comments:

K J and the kids said...

I of course say go for it :)
Do you still have more from the same donor ?

I have 3 and ask myself if there is one more out there for us.
Who knows. I of course do not have the luck that you guys have had. It took us a really long time to conceive Syd.

Dee said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! I'm a friend of Karen's and she emailed me your blog. I can't believe how much Kyron looks like Spencer! If you've got time on your side I say GO FOR IT! Before it's too late. Doing the conceive thing in the late 30's / early 40's has been an interesting rollar coaster and expensive!

Denise said...

WElcome to the blog world. I am a big fan of KJ'S AND HER BLOG.

hotomiky said...

i'm in late 30's and close to 40. yikes!

M said...

am drunk,.. sorry..glad we found your site..love when other women can kick ass out there...hate when we are seen as inferior...but thank you and we can kick ass out there... taining, training,training