Mikaela was signing and I noticed something interseting... As signing is clear to read and see the difference. I was wondering for the hearing kids.
"Phonics"
shark - dark - sharp (Mikaela was signing : shark for all words) We catch her easily because of signs show obviously errors but again it is similar sounds (phonic). We easily correct her with signs for the right word.
I was wondering for those hearing kids who prounce those words and do you recoginze them? It might be stupid question but I don't know the answer. Hope you all can help.
I was video Mikaela. She learned right signs (I asked her to do the "wrong signs that she orginally signed for that word) but give you some examples.
(I asked - when the light goes off, what will happen? She signed (shark) for dark.) She knows the right sign now...
the right sign of dark is...
Mikaela, she knows I'm doing something. When she does that and I will write down some words that I have noticed that she signs wrong but in phonic way - its kind of right...
I might talk no sense. It's so hard to explain on this. LOL...
chip - ship (signed chip for ship - correct her into right sign for ship)
Was wondering... Do you recognize if your kid use a lot of phonic (words/sounds)? She started that probably a year and half now. Was wondering...
In my mind, does parents know that their kids are using phonic words or do they recognize and help them correct into right prounce? I have no clue. LOL
I might not making any sense...



9 comments:
You make COMPLETE sense. And YES, all kids do this in the hearing world as well (phonics)
Just this morning Syd was telling me that she wanted to play bally ball. She meant Volleyball. I corrected her. That isn't an exact example but close.
I'm sure that in the signing world it would be easier to spot, as the signs are different. In the hearing world it's simply written off as poor pronounciation. A lot of it goes uncorrected....it will be learned over time.
If I think Syd doesn't know the word (maybe it's a new word) I will stop her and sound it out for her, take the time to correct her.
If it's simply a pronounciation problem, I might repeat it back the correct way to her but drop it at that point.
What this all comes down to.
Mikaela is DAMN cute ! :) ha ha
I responded again and BLOGGER ATE IT !!! DAMN IT DAMN IT DAMN IT !!!
What I was saying is....because Mikaela is hearing...she learns the signs WITH the sounds. They sound the same to her, so she signs them the same. A deaf child wouldn't learn them with sounds....that child would memorizes them in a whole different way, so something that sounds the same ie. chip and ship...wouldn't be mixed up. (or maybe they would ?)
I really don't know how that works.
Either way. Mikaela is STILL STINKING cute and I'm pissed at blogger...this made more sense the first time I typed it :) ha ha
KJ - mikaela did said bally ball last year :o) Seem its normal for her to do that...
many thanks!
I think it is normal for all kids, so I wouldn't worry. We just have to teach them the right words and they'll catch on.
Merr - I wasn't worry or anything. Just wondering... but thanks :o)
You made sense. Lexie alsways says walkie walkie instead of walkie talkies lol. She says other things too but I cant think of them right now.
I went as far as thinking one of my boy's tongs was to thick and would always have a lisp. (I would make a good hypochondriac). The speech therapist explained to me that young children don't poses the articulation skills of adults because the mussels that it takes to pronunciate sounds and in turn words are not developed yet. These sound alike words are very common such as Malicious Dinner instead of Delicious Dinner. Btw, I tried to teach my kids sign before they could talk and they never got it. Mikaela is so beautiful and seems very bright.
Yes, this happens... Lala and I correct our kids for doing those same things..
I have to say that I am TOTALLY AMAZED, reading this blog and watching the videos.. You 2 are wonderful parents. What a beautiful daughter..
This makes all the sense in the world.
Olivia says pack pack for backpack and, strangely, she also used to say shark for sharp - so weird. I would have bet my life that kids wouldn't have this problem if they were signing the words. So funky.
I ALWAYS correct her, but in a fun way, I just repeat what she was trying to say the correct way. Sometimes she will try to say it again the right way and sometimes she just ignores me - typical! I don't worry about it - it'll pass as they learn to annunciate better. We are now working vey hard on the hard TH sound, i.e. - think, throw, etc. She always gets it after a few tries, but goes back to the wrong pronunciation the next time. GRRRRR!
Post a Comment