Friday, September 25, 2009

For a change!

In the past, (for last maybe 3-4 years) Mikaela played soccer - always with all hearing kids. This year, one of my friends wanted his daughter to play on same time as Mikaela. We agreed to formed a team. We asked several parents to have their daughter to play on the team. (6 deaf kids and 4 hearing kids - mikaela is only one who knows signs). Both coach and assist coach are deaf. I'm team manager (3rd coach).

I had to say this... AHHHHHHHHH at last!!! Now, I can chat with other parents like hearing parents always do with other parents. Finally, I feel so normal! I'm tired of standing and looking at other parents laughing n chatting during the game. They always said - your daughter played very well, good, how ya? hi - all that... I want a REAL chat! (Some hearing parents knows signs - just maybe 3 hearing parents do not know signs).

I told Hollie that I'm worried... because we are talking about moving next year (July) and will lose those opportunties. H said - if we have no choice to drive up here for Mikaela to play soccer or sports, then we will. We will let things go by flow.

This time - for a change that we can be ourselves during the game like other hearing parents! Some hearing parents in Mikaela's team are very nice... they are trying to fit in. I was like... wow now it's your turn! Hope you will understand how deaf parents if all are hearing and doesnt know signs.







2 comments:

K J and the kids said...

How nice to have a way to communicate. I'll bet Mikaela is a great at giving the play by play to the other kids on the team who don't know sign :)

Merr said...

Change is good!!!