Thursday, February 4, 2010

school for M

Mikaela started her new school last Monday. It was an interesting experience. All I can say - different than other school - not even close as I thought. She seems to be fit in easily.

The only thing that I'm not happy with that school is MATH. First graders take first grade math period. Mikaela is on 2nd grade math level and is a first grader. They said -if she demonstrates an understanding she will be provided an enrichment activity. That is ridiculous.

I decided to continue teaching Mikaela 2nd grade math level at home to keep her up. She loves math. She enjoys doing math at home (whew!) just approx. 30 minutes (sun-thurs).

I know two things that are important to me is READING/WRITING and MATH. Reading/Writing part, she seems to be in right place (I hope and will follow up this coming Monday). But Math part... urgh... I'm going to have meeting with principal and find out what can we do about it. My neighbor said - dont worry, that school is very GOOD! In my mind - I do wonder!!!! They can not provide my daughter on right math level and you call this a good school. Urgh... **chuckling** The ironic part is that school is one of the top schools in the county.

At other school, Mikaela was taking 2nd grade math and is a first grader. But this school, she is taking first grade math level and is a first grader. Something wrong with the picture.

It's only first week! Let see what 2nd week will bring us. I sure hope that neighbors are right that school is GOOD! let's see....

1 comment:

K J and the kids said...

Such a smarty pants. She must get it from him :) ha ha

(just getting back at you for my comment. oh and hey...don't you remember my killer nearly front flip on the tramp)