Tuesday, July 10, 2012

KODA camp (MIkaela)

Camp Mark 7 (in Old Forge, NY - beautiful place!!).  They have almost two weeks camp for KODA (Kids of deaf adults) children (ages 9-12).   Mikaela had always wanted to go there.  It was a PRICEY camp!  12 nights!

Hollie and I agreed to let her go there.  Two world in one place.  (hearing world and deaf world).  KODA kids - all children are hearing which means they can hear.  Almost all of them can signs.

Mikaela had shared with us of her experiences at the camp.  Wow!!  very positive experience!  Whew!  We worried that she might not like there.  She said she had a short skit with her group and many people cheered and said yes yes we had that experiences.  It was more of sharing their experiences and feelings of having deaf parents.   I had asked her what is her skit all about because other kids said Mikaela's skit is so funny and i have the same experience... Mikaela proud and showed us. Oh my goodness!!!  She said - often, she was in bathroom, her parents just finished cooking and holler, Mikaela - come down and dinner is ready!  Miakela was in bathroom and said, "shoot, I wish they can hear me.. now I have to hold my business.    Ha ha... they shared their experiences.  They also shared their positive experiences having deaf parents.  they shared many stories.  One boy who is in his 2nd years of CM7,  before he went to camp, he wouldn't allow his parents to signs in public places... He was so ashamed.  As soon as the CM7 ends, he signed to his parents in public places.  His parents asked him - you wouldn't sign in public places and now you do... what's happening?  He replied - I just love you parents.  CM7 taught me that its okay to have deaf parents and makes me feel stronger and proud to have you as my deaf parents.  I'm sure his mother cried with joy!  Acceptance is the hardest part but after you learn and realize that is gift!  :o)

When Hollie and I picked Mikaela up from camp...  wow we felt so love and KODAs had hugged with each others so forth...  It's like a FAMILY!

As soon as we left Camp.  We decided to go and look around the town.  Many KODA families are around and they kept chant with other KODAs.  KODA LOVE!!

Mikaela said - she wants to go back there again and every year!  She also mentioned that she wants to be camp counselor when she's 17 or 18.  

Hollie and I are hoping for Kyron to go there when he's 9.  Before we drop Mikaela to camp, he refused to go and already said - NO and said wanted to stay with mommy. After he sees Mikaela and Parents Night.  He told us that he's more likely to go camp when he's 9.  wow!!

I know its hard for KODAS to have two worlds.  That place CM7 - they can merge into one world and bring themselves the best as they can be.  

I'm hoping to send Mikaela to different KODA camps.  I know there is two for sure - KODAWEST and CM7.  I just learned that there is more - one in Camp talolai (mixed deaf, hard of hearing and koda).  Aspen for the deaf (do have coda camp but I haven't gotten any information on that just yet... it was cancelled last year but this year - was told its on).

KODA rocks!


2 comments:

K J and the kids said...

12 nights WOW ! That's a long time away from home.
So glad she had a great time.
I have no doubts that Mikaela won't work with or for the deaf in some way. So much to be proud of.
Ryan's like Kyron. Mama's boys. :)

Merr said...

How fun and cool that she got to have that experience! I dont know that I could be away from my kid for 12 nights though. She must be very mature for her age to handle being gone that long.