Thursday, May 10, 2012

Change Career?

I've always wondering actually wanted to change my career into other things instead of teaching.  I've been talking about it for a while.

Where I used to work (school), executive director and principal had contacted me to see if I could be co-teacher til June 8th with 8th grade classes.  I asked several questions - what is the purpose?  what is the reason why do you want me to be co-teacher with other 8th grade teachers?  What kind of kids? so forth.

I've thought about it and accepted as co-teacher for 8th grade class.  Kids weren't angel!  Most kids have behavior issues - such as ADHD, impulsive disorder, bullying issues,  Asperger's , severe LD, emotional disturbed and so forth.  A lot of physical fight (bullying) involved and damage school properties.  Most of those students, I used to taught them when they were young.

When I first came in, I had to laugh - Wow!!  That is crazy!!  Teaching these class - 8 students in that class - too many in one class.  You probably will laugh because only 8 students but should have split into two classes due to their issues.  Poor good students who want to learn....

After three weeks, physical fight none!  damage things no more... now with name calling... wow.. those words are horrible!!!   After two months, name calling has been cut down a big time...  Wow!

Back to the point - about  career... I used to be substitute teacher for that school recently (starting last Jan).  I was sub for PE class, I read the lesson plan!  I could NOT believe what I read!!  Luckily I know this school and I spoke with assistant principal about the lesson plan.  She said you can do whatever you want!!  You don't need to follow the lesson plan that he gave you.  *whew!*  I developed many different lesson plans for that day and taught.  Many students had said they had so much fun and learned at the same time.  Wanted me to go back teaching PE so forth.

From time to time when I called to be sub for other teachers.  Students always said to me - you sub for pe class?  I often said no not today... all that... anyway..

That little boy- he's deaf (of course deaf school that where I work).  He doesn't like PE very much.  One afternoon, he ran and hugged me when I walked down the cafeteria.  I smiled.  He asked - when will you be sub for pe?  I said hopefully soon.  **am in tear**

I know I will never be able to teach him again.  He got .....hit... by a taxi in New York City when his family went for family vacation.   He did.... did not make it.  He's only  5!!  Just turned 5 years old.   I was so sad when I first learned that he was killed.  (https://everribbon.com/TimKeithhttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/16/timothy-keith-5-year-old-_n_1428619.html   (Rest in peace, Timothy)

Few weeks ago, I realized something... he's trying to tell me that I'm a teacher no matter what.  Now I know I'm going for teaching position again.  Since that incident - it taught me something... not only that incident.... I was called to work with those 8th graders.  A lot of parents, staffs and teachers were applauded of my work.  Those students are a HELL!  but I'm glad to be part of their life and trying to help them as much as I can give.  Also they taught me that I am a teacher no matter how hard I tried to change my career.  Those students said - you should not leave ***school for the deaf -- you should stay and teach here - all that... It touched my heart.  I know I will miss them when they graduate this coming June (middle school - that school where I work - from preschool to 8th grade).

 I will always go back teaching.  So I'm waiting for the positions to be open then I sure hope to get that PE teaching position where I used to be.  I'm ready to go back work.  but i know I will regret later as I will miss being stay home mom...

Now I know I will not change my career for now....

1 comment:

K J and the kids said...

That is just terribly sad. I can't imagine carrying my son 2 NY blocks to a hospital either. :( That is just awful.

I'm so glad that you've once again found your niche. I'm sure everyone will be happy that you have ! :)